Not every pharmaceutical product works as intended or as advertised by its manufacturer.
In some cases, drugs are on the market without extensive testing. Sometimes pharmaceutical companies ignore the drugs’ potential for serious and deadly side effects and willfully choose profits over safety.
At Gemma Law Associates, our Rhode Island dangerous drug attorneys believe the manufacturers, distributors, and sellers of dangerous drugs must be held accountable.
For more than 40 years, we’ve helped victims of dangerous drugs throughout Rhode Island.
If you would like to discuss your legal options, schedule your free case evaluation today. Call 401-467-2300 or contact our Providence office online.
How Can a Dangerous Drug Lawyer Help?
If a drug causes undisclosed side effects, has caused bodily injury, or is defective in manufacturing or design, it’s typically considered a dangerous drug.
Fortunately, product liability laws allow injury lawyers like those at Gemma Law to fight for victims by pursuing financial compensation.
Product liability law provides remedies for those who have been injured by dangerous pharmaceuticals. Injured victims may be able to assert claims based on defective manufacturing or design, or contend they suffered harm due to the drug manufacturers’ failure to provide proper instructions or warnings.
Often, dangerous drug lawsuits are consolidated in a federal district court for pretrial proceedings with cases involving similar claims from across the country. These multidistrict litigation proceedings help to define specific legal issues and contribute to an efficient resolution of the case.
What Adverse Reactions Have Dangerous Drugs Been Linked To?
There are countless drugs the Food and Drug Administration has linked to serious side effects and other dangers. Your particular situation may even be caused by a drug our team of Rhode Island personal injury attorneys have already represented.
At Gemma Law, our legal team represents cases including but not limited to:
- Antidepressants and Birth Injuries: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Zoloft (sertraline), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), and Lexapro (escitalopram) have been linked to a series of birth defects.
- Crestor Side Effects: This prescription drug is supposed to help patients with high cholesterol, but medical studies show it can cause potentially deadly side effects like rhabdomyolysis, or muscle deterioration, which can lead to kidney failure.
- Fosamax: This drug is marketed for the treatment of osteoporosis, but several studies have shown it actually weakens bones instead of making them stronger.
- Levaquin: This prescription antibiotic has been linked to serious side effects, including disabling tendon ruptures and tendonitis.
- Paxil Side Effects: The FDA is advising doctors not to prescribe this antidepressant to women in their first three months of pregnancy or to those planning to become pregnant due to serious birth defects.
- ● Topamax Birth Defects: Pregnant mothers were prescribed Topamax for epilepsy, migraines, and other off-label uses. Unfortunately, it’s linked to cleft palates in children, leading to repeated surgeries and years of treatments.
- It can be difficult to tell if a prescription drug is the cause of an injury. It will likely require an investigation to find out, but you don’t have to go through it alone.
If you think you’ve been injured by a dangerous drug, contact our injury lawyers at Gemma Law. We have the experience you need to determine if your injury is linked to a dangerous prescription drug, we can help you take on the company responsible.
How the Dangerous Drug Attorneys at Gemma Law Can Help
When seeking legal relief in a defective drug case, it’s important to work with a law firm with the resources to go head-to-head with major pharmaceutical companies.
The Rhode Island attorneys at Gemma Law have vast experience handling defective drug cases. We’ve won multimillion-dollar settlements on behalf of injured clients all across the state, and we’re committed to winning your settlement, too.
Gemma Law has a successful record of litigating personal injury and wrongful death claims involving defectively designed and marketed pharmaceuticals.
What’s more, we’re prepared to argue your case in a courtroom to recover the damages you deserve. Rhode Island places strict time limits (typically, three years from the date of injury) on filing product liability and dangerous drug claims.
If you have been seriously injured by a medication or prescription drug, it’s critical that you contact a dangerous drug lawyer swiftly.
For a free legal consultation, call our Rhode Island dangerous drug attorneys toll-free at 401-467-2300 or contact our Providence office online to get started now.