Rhode Island Social Security Disability Lawyers
If you are considering applying for Social Security Disability benefits or have already started the process and been denied, you know how frustrating and confusing it can be. Unfortunately, there is so much red tape and so many hoops to jump through that many people who clearly deserve benefits are denied the first time they apply.
At Gemma Law Associates, Inc., our Rhode Island Social Security Disability lawyers have years of experience successfully securing benefits and back pay for deserving clients. Our dedicated lawyers are able to make a difference because:
- We have decades of experience navigating the complicated Social Security Administration (SSA) rules and regulations.
- We thoroughly review your documentation to ensure you have all the correct materials, including medical reports and past work history.
- We evaluate your current medical treatment to make sure that it is consistent with your disability.
- We identify any red flags that may stand out to claim reviewers and fix them before you file your application.
- If you filed on your own and were denied, we gather additional documentation to prepare a strong request for reconsideration.
When a disability prevents you, your spouse or your child from earning income, simply paying the bills and going about your daily routine can be a tremendous challenge. You shouldn’t have to fight with the Social Security Administration month after month for the benefits you are entitled to.
For more than four decades, the Rhode Island Social Security Disability lawyers at Gemma Law Associates have helped our clients succeed in getting the benefits they deserve. To learn how we can help you, call us today or fill out our online form. We will discuss your case with you for free, with no obligations.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Social Security Disability Lawyer?
The Social Security Administration has strict rules about how much attorneys can charge you. That’s why it’s important to focus on experience rather than cost when choosing a Social Security Disability lawyer. At Gemma Law Associates, our skilled lawyers have more than 40 years of experience handling these types of complex cases.
First of all, you should know that we do not collect a fee unless we recover benefits for you.
When you do recover benefits, the SSA limits attorneys’ fees to 25 percent of your recovery or $6,000, whichever is less. That means that if we recover $10,000 for you, our fee would be $2,500. But if we recover $100,000 for you, our fee would be capped at $6,000
What Documentation Do I Need to Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits?
Gathering the proper documentation is key to filing an application for any type of Social Security Disability benefit. In fact, lack of proper documentation is one of the reasons that up to 70 percent of claims are initially rejected. Even applicants with very obvious disabilities and financial needs can find that their initial applications for benefits are denied if they did not include the proper documentation.
At Gemma Law Associates, our Rhode Island Social Security Disability attorneys are extremely thorough in preparing your application for benefits. We will review all the documentation that could be needed for your claim.
The Social Security Administration recommends you have the following documentation to support your claim:
- Your date of birth, place of birth and Social Security number
- Your spouse’s name, Social Security number and birthdate
- Any former spouse’s name, Social Security number and birthdate
- Dates and places of marriage, as well as dates of divorce or the death of your spouse
- Your minor children’s names and birthdates
- Detailed medical records documenting your disability, including your doctors’ contact information, proof and dates of treatments and tests, and any medications prescribed
- Your income from last year and this year
- Contact information for your employer
- Information about jobs you had in the 15 years before you couldn’t work
- Your Social Security Statement
- Dates of military service (if it was before 1968)
- Workers’ compensation information, including the settlement agreement, date of injury, claim number and proof of other disability payments
- Checking or savings account numbers, including the bank’s 9-digit routing number for direct deposit of benefit checks
- Name, address and phone number of an emergency contact
This may seem like an overwhelming amount of documentation to gather. It’s obvious how you can easily miss one piece of information that could result in a denial of your claim. However, you can trust our experienced Rhode Island Social Security Disability lawyers to go over every inch of your application. We will identify any missing information or errors, and demand what’s known as a “reconsideration” if your claim has been denied.
Contact us today to find out how we can help with your application.
Understanding the Types of Social Security Disability Benefits Programs
The Social Security Disability benefits system is complex. It has grown more complicated as regulators have revised the rules to meet multiple circumstances, conditions, and needs. When you schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable Social Security attorneys, we will review the types of disability benefits programs with you to determine which one best applies to your situation.
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) – This program provides financial benefits to people who have worked five out of the past 10 years but have become disabled to such an extent they can no longer work.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – This program pays benefits to those who have a financial need because their disability keeps them out of the workforce. SSI is available for both disabled children and adults, although the requirements are different for each group.
- Disabled Widow’s and Widower’s Benefits – These benefits are for widows or widowers who have become disabled within a certain amount of time after the death of their spouse. These benefits, like SSDI, require that the recipient have worked in the past and contributed to the Social Security program.
- Disabled Adult Child Benefits – These benefits provide financial support to children who become disabled before the age of 22 and whose parents are either deceased or receiving retirement or Social Security Disability payments.
It is important to note that Social Security Disability benefits are connected to how much you have paid into the Social Security system during your working years. The SSA offers a benefits guide that explains how your work history may affect the benefits you can receive.
Contact Our Rhode Island Social Security Disability Lawyers Today
Enlisting the help of an experienced Social Security Disability attorney can make a real difference in the successful outcome of your claim.
If you have questions about applying for disability benefits, or if you feel that your application has been unfairly denied, contact Gemma Law Associates today.
For decades, our Social Security Disability claims attorneys have been helping clients secure the benefits they deserve. We’ve helped with claims and appeals for clients in Providence, Pawtucket, Warwick, Newport, Cranston, Woonsocket, Bristol and throughout Rhode Island.
Schedule a free legal consultation today by calling or filling out our online form.
What Our Clients Say
Read this 5-star Google review from a pleased Gemma Law client.
“My experience with Mark from Gemma Law was amazing. He helped me with my case in a very timely manner and was always there when/if I had a question. Him and his staff always let me know how it was going. I would absolutely recommend them for any legal matters you have. Thank you for all your help.”
By Crystal B
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google.